Thursday, October 13, 2016

Premiere vs. FCPX - Part 3

Premiere is very sluggish on this short film, granted I'm not using the proxy workflow, and I have a lot of disparate materials. And some large stills.

FCPX seems to degrade the playback on the fly in such case, but never gets stuck the way PP does. I'm set at 1/2 playback by the way, and sometimes a few seconds pass without anything happening on screen, then it catches-up all of a sudden, and I've missed everything in-between.  All audio goes bonkers as well, it degrades to the point of unbearable noise being introduced. Solution? Stop, and play again.

I like a lot the fact that FCPX always keeps the timing right, no stuttering, only in rare occasions, and the image is never degraded to the point that Premiere degrades it if you playback at 1/4 for ex. That's very, very comfortable. Premiere (and After Effects) still lack on this point.

Even at 1/4, PP is not reacting fast enough to show you images of each clip if you hold the up or down arrow to navigate the timeline. FCPX does, it does not skip clips randomly the way PP does.

Man I HATE this zooming feature of Premiere, and I keep hitting Shift+Z to make my cut fit the Timeline. What is the shortcut to do that in Premiere? Ah! It's "\", well I am remapping this to "Shift+Z" in PP Keyboard Shortcuts. There, and "\" now goes for Zoom to frame.

Grrr, while I'm at it, I am also remapping Add Edit and Add Edit to All Tracks to "Command+B" and "Shift Command+B", instead of "Command+K".

No comments:

Post a Comment