Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Phantom Drives DUO Dual 2.5' USB-C Enclosure - Review

 My quest to find a dual enclosure to house two Sata SSDs at 10Gbps speed is still ongoing.

I reviewed OWC's Mercury Elite Pro Dual Mini enclosure last week, and it didn't meet my expectations. Namely the speed of the RAID 0 array composed of the two 1TB SSDs is not faster than a single drive. It should reach higher, maybe not the advertised max of 980MB/s, but at least faster than the around 360MB/s of a single Crucial SSD.

Today I'm testing another dual 2.5' enclosure, the Phantom Drives DUO (enclosure only).

And similarly I am not getting near the advertised "Up to 1000MB/s Read and Write". Instead I get the same as with the OWC's Mercury, a paltry 360MB/s in Raid 0, be it hardware Raid or Apple Raid, no difference.

As single drives in the Phantom enclosure, I get the usual 350-360MB/s.
Either SSD, (A) or (B) delivers the expected speed.
Now this is two SSDs configured as Raid 0 (Apple software) with basically the same speed as a single SSD. Not expected, not good.
And this is the same two SSDs as Raid 0 (Phantom hardware), same crappy speed.
More weird is that the Phantom enclosure only appears as a 5Gbps device in System Report, even though it is connected to Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C. On the Phantom website it is clearly described as a 10Gbps enclosure.
I already returned the Mercury Mini, so unfortunately I cannot check how it's being recognized by System Report.
By comparison, OWC's Dual Drive Dock is recognized as a 10Gbps device. And its speed with the same two Crucial 1TB SSDs is slightly better than either the Phantom or the Mercury Mini, around 550MB/s.
So far that's the best speed I can get on the Mac mini M1 with an external Raid 0 composed of two 1TB Crucial Sata SSDs. It's still 
slower than it should be.

The best speed of all, 800-680MB/s, an expected speed for dual SSD Raid 0, is only achieved with the Sonnet PCIe card in the Mac Pro 5.1
Why can't I get this kind of speed with USB-C enclosures rated for 10Gbps connected via Thunderbolt 3 on the Mac Mini M1?

I don't get it. Any ideas? Please comment.



No comments:

Post a Comment