Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Premiere vs. FCPX - Part1 Introduction

Since I am working on a project using Premiere Pro after months of using FCPX, I thought I could just write down my experience as am cutting, and sort of adjusting on the fly to Premiere.

- I'm comparing Premiere pro CC 2015.4 and FCPX 10.2.3.


- Note that I am on a Mac Pro 5,1 and a Mac Mini 2013 systems, both with OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite and 16GB of Ram.

- The Mac pro has a Sapphire Radeon 7950 card with 3GB VRam, the Mini has the built-in Intel graphics with 1GB VRam.

- I write these remarks as things come to my attention. The list will grow as I progress through this project, and they will likely be several posts on the subject. With that in mind, let's roll!


Man, do I miss FCPX Magnetic Timeline!  Thinking that I was angry about it when FCPX first came out!  It is an AWESOME feature. I still have to figure how to "Select from here" in Premiere. Oh boy... It's "A" tool for all tracks, Shift modifier for single track, all right. 

I'm finding out I still like to create bins and organize the footage the way I want in PP. Interestingly enough, when I work in FCPX I don't miss that. Is it just an old reflex? Oh boy! Clips just move from bin to bin instead of being duplicated. Got to Copy and Paste then.

FCPX is so much more RESPONSIVE and FLUID!  PP feels like yesterday's tech.  It constantly has to redraw thumbnails, looses random media for a few seconds before automatically relinking, it is slow to start playing the timeline, slow to move the cursor around, it sometimes misses a particular selection (think selecting a transition vs. selecting a clip), it stops doing whatever task it's doing to respond to a command, and on and on.

On the other hand, it's TOO responsive (as in not in a good way) to any zooming, resizing, moving around the tracks or the Timeline. The tweaks are too abrupt, too rough, it's annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment