Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Premiere and Nested Sequences

Why can't I nest an empty Sequence? It's an odd Premiere behavior: I cannot nest an empty or a 1 frame long Sequence, it has to be at least 2 frames. OK fine.

Let's say I nest a non-empty Sequence, and then I delete some material from it, the nested Sequence still shows the entire length from when it was drop-nested.

OK so then why can't I nest an empty Sequence, with say a default duration of X frames, and adjust its length to what is needed later?

Also, if I specify a IN and an OUT to my Sequence, and then I nest it, I can extend the boundaries on the nested version.



- Original Sequence with IN/OUT @ 3:18 and 9:28, total length about 30 sec.

- Nested Sequence was nested when it was longer (42 sec.), so it's showing "missing material", Premiere is not updating to its current length. Nowhere does it show its current IN/OUT @ 3:18 and 9:28.






This behavior is counter intuitive to me. Most of the time I use nested Sequences to assemble several individual Sequences/scenes. As I modify the individual Sequences, I want the assembly Sequence of nested Sequences to update its content. It's not.

And I can't see a way to quickly hand adjust the assembly Sequence either, as it does not take into account the new IN/OUTs of my individual Sequence.

Premiere will ignore any IN and OUT set in the nested Sequence and will nest from the start of the Sequence to the end of the last clip contained in the Sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment