Friday, March 25, 2022

Apple Final Cut Pro 10.6.1, Mac Monterey 12.1, Mac mini M1 2020 - Weird S*%$ Happening - Part1

 OK, so I'm now in production, live, on the Mac mini M1 (16GB) with macOS Monterey, and WEIRD SHIT IS HAPPENING! I try to keep everything up to date on this machine, except I will not update in the middle of a project, so some software might not be the very last version.


1. FCP looses the Andy's Swish Pan transition at random. It works fine, then for some reason it goes missing. I restart FCP and it's back in. I am using this transition constantly and it works fine until it goes on strike. The additional weirdness is that FCP flashes cryptic messages about FxFactory plug-ins. Wouldn't it be better if it said: The plug-in Swish Transitions is not responding? In any case Andy, FxFactory or Apple, do something please!


2. FCP (and Motion) crash more often than usual. Three times today with FCP. Yes I know, it's NOTHING! But I got used to FCP NOT CRASHING AT ALL FOR DAYS ON END. So it's annoying and a step back.I will try to keep a log of crashes, it's annoying.

FCP crashes...
And Motion crashes...


3. Motion refuses to open some files. I tried double clicking, I tried Right-click Open, no go. I log-Out and log back In, or I restart the computer and Motion is able to open the file no problem. Uh??? That's an odd one, I don't like this one, I really don't like this.



4. FCP is SLOW when it comes to switching between multiple opened Libraries. It takes a few seconds each time, no matter how big or small the Libraries are. FCP is also slow when expanding and closing Libraries. It's also slow when expanding Events. I'm on a RAID with average speed 250MB/s and SSDs with average speed 300MB/s, it shouldn't be that slow. And again the Libraries/Events are not that big.


5. When copying Clips from one Library to another, FCP sometimes looses track of the Media that becomes offline in the Timeline the clips are pasted into. Both Libraries have all Media stored externally. After pasting the clips,  FCP considers the media as stored internally - inside the FCP Library, and obviously it's not there, so it becomes offline. That's a very annoying bug as I constantly copy/paste between libraries. Now maybe FCP is confused by my naming the Folder into which the clips are stored externally "Original Media"? Really it shouldn't because the rest of the path is completely different. Apple please fix this.

The Clips are from this Library, stored externally in a folder named "Original Media".

The Clips are pasted into this second Library, FCP is looking into the FCP Library Bundle, as if the Clips where stored internally. Making them go offline. Wrong! 


6. FCP insists that some background tasks are not yet complete when I want to Share a cut. Even though as I carefully scan through the entire Timeline I see nothing wrong. The Task Manager does not indicate any ongoing task. This one is easy to circumvent, just click Continue. It unnerves me a little bit every time though, I don't like uncertainty. Apple please fix this.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment