Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Why does Final Cut Pro X 10.3.2 suck at handling a large number of files - Update: it's the cache!

As much as I like FCPX, its my to go NLE these days, it sucks when dealing with a large number of files.

Disclaimer: I'm on an old fashion mid 2012 Mac Pro, with a 3GB Radeon graphic card.

The core of FCPX is the database, well it's not a very efficient database when it starts to slow to a halt trying to deal with ~4000 files at once.

I am building my SFXs library so it's available and handy within FCPX, of course forget adding Aliases to the Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Final Cut Pro Sound Effects, it's terribly unresponsive and crashes the app with a large number of files.

Instead, create a SFX Library LIBRARY and import and organize your sounds within said Library. (Are you confused already?)

Anyway, alll this is fine, except that I have a 10,000 files in an Adobe sound library I want to import, and oh boy! is FCPX freaking out!  I actually have to make it into smaller batches, else it crashes. Under 1k files is much more digestible it seems.

Then after this pain, it's time to assign roles. I want to assign the same Adobe_CC2015_Library role to these 10k files...  Forget it. FCPX is totally crippled.  Again, I have to do it in smaller batches, 4k or so files. Which brings the beach ball of death and oooops! I'm not touching anything, holding my breath... Nope, can't hold my breath for this long... 1min. 2min. ... All right! Finally it happens! Hooray!

Man! Just trying to select ~4k-6k files brings the beach ball of death!  It finally does what it's told, but it's certainly is not responsive, got to have patience.

Switching from one Event (one SFX Library) to another takes some time... Like 4 or 5 sec. of the beach ball right there with the 10k files library. Hmmmm.

I actually have another audio library that's near 100k files... Well I might wait a little before I bring this one in.

What's your experience in dealing with a large number of files in FCPX?

---UPDATE
Best practice is to store FCPX cache on a separate drive, preferably a SSD. That will speed up things tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment